With Giving Tuesday and the holiday season fast approaching, there’s no better time to take a few moments to think strategically about ways to have the biggest impact with your philanthropy. The following are a few of our favorite ideas on how to be philanthropic around the holidays:
- Explore charities giving catalogs for meaningful gifts. Charities like the Heifer International, Red Cross, OxFam America, and Mercy Corps all offer an option that’s a bit different than getting someone another sweater.
- Consider what non-liquid assets you might have. Often times, by gifting non-cash assets, like making a charity the beneficiary of a life insurance policy, you’re able to give a significant gift to a nonprofit and also enjoy tax benefits for multiple years. Talk to your tax/financial advisor to get more information on the best way to do this for your particular situation.
- Be sure to research before you give. There are tens of thousands of charities in the Los Angeles area alone and there are objective ways to analyze which one will have the greatest impact. Look them up on GuideStar, Charity Navigator, or if you’re feeling ambitious, research their 990 (tax form) through the Foundation Center.
- Host a Give Back Bash at your office. Many teams are looking for ways to create meaning around the holidays and raise everyone’s spirit. AARP’s site, Create the Good has some interesting ways to energize your Secret Santa this year!
- Don’t forget your time is just as valuable. Arrange a volunteer day at the local nonprofit – some of our favorites that are happy to receive group volunteers for an afternoon are Downtown Women’s Center, Midnight Mission, and LA Kitchen.
Regardless of what you give this holiday season, think about how you give to really magnify your impact. And don’t forget, add Giving Tuesday to your calendar to be a part of the global movement to give back this holiday season!
Sign up here to receive the highlights from the Starfish Impact blog in your inbox.