Impact investing is one of those buzz words lately and Starfish Impact is excited to start sharing regular posts on the topic from our talented team and also from expert guest contributors. We know that there are plenty of resources to sift through and learn about impact investing for individuals and families. Read on to go from interested bystander to empowered investor!
To start off – what is impact investing? According to the Global Impact Investing Network, impact investing is defined as investments made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate social and environmental impact alongside a financial return.
A few of our favorite quick reads to cover the basics include:
- A primer by the Case Foundation.
- And check out this quick video describing what impact investing can be: Turn Your Money Into Real Change by the G8 Taskforce on Social impact Investment.
- CFDI? Microfinance? Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors has a great donor-friendly pamphlet highlighting what impact investing can look like.
Who are the established players on the scene?
- Rockefeller Foundation can point to work in this space as far back as 2007.
- The Omidyar Network leverages the full portfolio of assets in their investments beyond finances.
- And Antony Bugg-Levine, CEO of the Nonprofit Finance Fund, literally wrote the book on impact investing.
Ready to explore impact investments?
- Check out Impact Asset’s Donor Advised Fund with impact investing opportunities.
- Need a one stop shop to search opportunities? Enable Impact created just that!
- Look at TONIIC – a peer network of investors who have committed 100% of their assets to socially responsible investing.
- In Europe? Check out PYMWYMIC for a community of like-minded individuals!
Keep in mind, Starfish Impact isn’t a tax, legal, or investment advisor. These links are to organizations that we believe are helpful resources as you explore what impact investing can mean to you.
Also, keep an eye out for Starfish Impact’s blog series on impact investing. There is more to come.
Sign up here to receive the highlights from the Starfish Impact blog in your inbox.