With school breaks around the corner, we’re sharing a list of the many sites that offer voluntourism opportunities. Please note that Starfish Impact has not individually vetted these websites or the specific opportunities listed given the fluid nature of global voluntourism. If you find an opportunity you are interested in but want some additional assurance, feel free to contact us and we can provide a list of questions you should ask the trip provider, or alternatively we can discuss performing due-diligence on the program for you or your children. Bon Voyage!
- Road Scholar develops learning adventures for those who want a depth of perspective not found on standard travel excursions. Working with expert faculty, they create one-of-a-kind experiences—rich, multifaceted investigations into every topic and destination. Road Scholar trips, provide privileged access to places and experts that they have developed through their extensive global network built over four decades of research and experience.
- United Planet connects volunteers who want to make a difference with communities in more than 25 countries, where they learn, teach, work, engage and immerse themselves in a culture outside their comfort zone. For many, it’s the most fulfilling experience of their lives. With partnerships all over the world, United Planet fosters cross-cultural understanding and addresses shared challenges to unite the world in a community beyond borders.
- United Way’s Alternative Spring Break is a highly immersive week of service projects, leadership-building and relationship-building. It gives college students the chance to make an impact on communities around the U.S. and learn more about the challenges and opportunities facing the country.
- STA Travel creates volunteer projects that are authentic, sustainable and responsible. They believe in giving back to the communities visited by making sure that their travel has a positive impact on their local economies. STA Travel only works with a select number of partners who build meaningful relationships with local communities, whilst ensuring that travelers’ desires to make a difference are fulfilled
- Projects Abroad is one of the largest volunteer abroad organizations in the world. Founded in 1992, they send 10,000 people abroad each year on a variety of service projects and internships overseas. Projects Abroad offers volunteer experiences in Africa, Asia, Europe, or Latin America in roles such as teaching, care, conservation and environment, medicine and healthcare, journalist, law and human rights, international development, and business.
Sign up here to receive the highlights from the Starfish Impact blog in your inbox.