There is never a right or a wrong time to show your appreciation for a teacher (or other school staff member, for that matter). And what better way that with a gift that does more than sit on their desk? How about a gift that gives back by employing a local artisan around the world? Or a gift that helps replant the rainforests? Take a look at our list of gifts that give back for the teacher in your life:
- Eco friendly flowers that are locally grown, sustainably sourced, and paid for with fair wages. Flower company, Bouqs, for example, directly sources the flowers upon order, limiting the need for refrigeration and floral waste, and thus limiting the company’s carbon footprint. It also has a third party certification by Veriflora and the Rainforest Alliance that their farms are not using any highly toxic chemicals that ensure the health of the local ecosystem.
- Candles or honey made from local bees. We love Ames Farm for those in the Midwest, Big Moon Beeswax for those in the Pacific Northwest, Bill’s Bees Honey for those in Southern California, and Buckabee Honey for those on the East Coast.
- Something from your local farmers market. You can find the closest farmer’s market to you by searching this directory maintained by the Agricultural Marketing Service. Need some inspiration? We’ve seen great gifts of dried fruits, locally grown plants, or freshly ground nut butters (though check with your school policy on nuts first!).
- A fair trade coffee upgrade. Purchase grounds that have the Rainforest Alliance certification on them like High Grounds Coffee Roasters. Buy reusable stirrers like the unique Stircle or compostable coffee cups like these and Green Paper Products. For the tea drinker? Try unbleached, biodegradable tea bags from the Tea Spot or a variety of other reusable steepware available on their site.
- Handmade stationery from a small shop like California-based LaPetiteNote, Florida-based 3LittleFlowers, or Missouri-based ChickadeeCottageCo.
- A gift card that works a bit extra, like a Nordstrom gift card whose gift card giving program donates 1% of every gift card sale to local nonprofits. Other companies like Gap, REI, and H&M frequently run similar charity programs to keep an eye on.
- Something sweet from a small batch, bean to bar, chocolate company that includes sustainably sourced or non-GMO cocoa like Letterpress Chocolate, Compartés, or Theo Chocolate.
Do you have a favorite teacher gift that gives back? Share yours with us at @StarfishMarta.
Sign up here to receive the highlights from the Starfish Impact blog in your inbox.