The first day of the LAUSD teacher’s strike began Monday, January 14th, and we know that families have many questions. We have culled this list of resources relevant to the strike and are offering it as a resource whether you don’t want your student to cross the picket line or don’t feel comfortable with sending them to school with the back up structure set up by the school district.
First, it is important to let you know that LAUSD does expect all students to report to school despite the strike. Approximately 400 non-union substitute teachers have been hired and some 2,000 administrative staff has been reassigned to accommodate the situation. Unexcused absences will be labeled as truancy. They have put together this handbook in English and Spanish for parents and have an active hotline that can be called with questions at (213) 443-1300.
Free Museums with Age-Appropriate Programming, Increased Hours, and Increased Supervision
Extended Hours and Lunches at LA Public Libraries and Recreation Centers
- List of Recreation Centers
- Registration Form required for student drop in registration
- List of Public Libraries
Free Bus Rides
LA Metro, LADOT DASH, and Commuter Express will offer free rides to LA Unified students between the hours of 5 a.m. and 7 p.m. on regular school days. Bus operators will check LA Unified student IDs on-board and fare compliance officers will allow them to ride without fares on Metro’s Gold, Blue, Green, and Expo light rail lines. On the Red and Purple Lines and any other rail stations with fare gates, Metro will deploy TAP personnel to facilitate students’ free entry.
- Hot and Cool Café is offering free coffee for all LAUSD teachers.
- Lakeshore Learning is laminating protest signs for free
- Northridge Public Library is highlighting the free e-resources available to support and supplement student learning
- Malibu Eatery locations are offering free kids meals to LAUSD students.
- Zingo Tacos is serving tacos and coffee at a few schools and is funded by a GoFundMe campaign called Tacos for Teachers
- Payroll Disruption Relief Programs are detailed for LAUSD teachers on their website including the official strike letter that can be presented to creditors or financial institutions.
Share your opinion with the Superintendent and School Board Members. Their contact info:
- Austin Beutner, Superintendent
- (213) 241-7000
- Dr. George J. McKenna III, Board Member, Board District 1
- (213) 241-6382
- Mónica García, Board President, Board District 2
- (213) 241-6180
- Scott Schmerelson, Board Member, Board District 3
- (213) 241-8333
- Nick Melvoin, Board Member, Board District 4
- (213) 241-6387
- Board Member Office Vacant, Board District 5
- (213) 241-5555
- Kelly Gonez, Board Member, Board District 6
- (213) 241-6388
- Dr. Richard Vladovic, Board District 7
- (213) 241-6385
Sign up here to receive the highlights from the Starfish Impact blog in your inbox.